I'm facing charges where the only evidence in the disclosure…

Customer Question
I'm facing charges where...

I'm facing charges where the only evidence in the disclosure is the hearsay of the victim. A recognizance condition was that I could not communicate or be within a certain distance of him. Two more times he called the police with fake stories, they wouldn't even bother to look at the phone, and simply arrested me based on his say-so. Next time, I feel like I'm going to jail. I don't know what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What were they charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?

The initial charge was uttering threats, he said I threatened to kill him and his family. then I got a breach of recognizance where I also got another uttering threats charge and threat to property. the third time I just got breach July 15 is next court date

Lawyer's Assistant: In what province did this occur?

Ont

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well this is really hurting me because one of my conditions to reside with surity. I already have my own place that I'm paying monthly for. If that condition doesn't change on the July court date, I won't be able to go to school in September. it's taken me so long to make it this far I was a heroin addict for years my upbringing was not great but I want a normal successful life now and this seems to be making it impossible

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Canada Law
5/31/2018
Lawyer: CaptanLaw, Lawyer replied 19 days ago
CaptanLaw
CaptanLaw, Lawyer

I'm a criminal defence lawyer and can assist you with your inquiry. Sorry to hear about the situation. You've summed up the situation, and i understand it - but can you clarify precisely what your main question is?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I cannot afford a criminal lawyer and legal aid will not accept my application as they tell me the usually only deal with cases that could lead to jail time. Essentially my only option is to go with duty counsel and accept a plea deal. The problem is this continues to happen over and over again. Is there anyway I can prevent myself from continually being arrested because of this individual? Eventually I will end up in jail. Basically my question is, "what can I do?" I understand you deal with the courts and not the police, and you may have no other advice than to bite the bullet and go with duty counsel. Do you have any advice besides going that route?