My friend was my designated driver, he ended up rolling my…

Customer Question
My friend was my...

My friend was my designated driver, he ended up rolling my truck with myself and my dog inside the truck, after the incident we wrote up a bill of sale/contract stating he was responsible for the accident and for the replacement of my vehicle. It has now been 8 months and I have not received any type of monatary settlement for the incident.

Lawyer's Assistant: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Alberta

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have tried to set up a payment plan with him and I have also tried to help him get a job to start making monthly payments to me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Canada Law
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying you didn't report this to your insurers?

How much was the truck worth? Did the agreement say what he would pay you?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

The truck was insured with PLPD the contract states that he will reimburse me $14,000.00 for the truck

Are you saying the insurers will pay you $14,000?

And what more do you feel you are entitled to?

No the truck was only insured for "public liability & public damages I wasn't covered for the accident that's why myself and him made the contract so I would be reimbursed for the loss of my truck

What you can do is send him a letter by Registered Mail. In the letter set out the facts and demand that he repay you by a deadline that you set.

Tell him if he fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs.

You can then sue him in Small Claims Court and self-represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?