I'm going to try and make this as concise as I can. I

Customer Question
I'm going to try...

I'm going to try and make this as concise as I can. I separated from abusive husband in 2007. Have kept in contact with him off and on because he is required to pay spousal support. In September 2011 I had the opportunity to purchase my own home, but I was short a bit on the down payment. I asked my ex-husband if he would like to help me out and pay half of the down payment. He proposed this to me....He would pay one half of the down payment, and also (as an investment to him) he would make one mortgage payment a month and I would pay the other. I agreed to this as long as the house was registered as Tenants in Common, and that he understood that this was MY residence, not his. He agreed. I took possession of the house in January 2012. In the summer of 2016 my ex husband, who had been working out of the province for over a year (he's a crane operator) came back to Toronto and needed a place to stay for a short amount of time. He asked if he could stay at the house, and to make it worth my while, would pay $100.00 rent a week until he found a place of his own. Long story short....he's still here and now says he is not moving. Because he is registered as half owner of the house, but pays rent while residing him, I'm wondering if there is any way I can evict him or have any legal standing to have him removed from the house. despite the fact that he lives downstairs I am always on edge just having him around. He has not only made life unbearable for me he has done things to the property that has devalued the house. I just don't know where to go from here. I'm in a position that I can't just up and leave as I have pets and no where else to go and I am a senior whose sole income is depends upon the spousal support I get from him. He is 10 years younger than me single, and makes approx. $190,000. a year. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have done nothing as yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Ontario lawyer about this?

Not yet. I have a bit of savings but didn't want to put myself in a situation where I deplete my savings (which is probably what he'd like me to do) trying to fight him. I was hoping I had some legal standing.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Canada Law
5/27/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Is there something in writing that sets out your agreement with respect to ownership and/or possession?

The mortgage is in both names. The only proof I have that he was never to 'live' in the house is that he made no request to reside here until such time as he needed a temporary place to stay until he found one of his own and that he would pay 'rent' ($100.00 per week) while he stayed at the house.
Firstly, I'm not happy about paying the first $66.00 which I did not authorize. My first payment through Paypal should have been ONLY $5.00. This morning when I went on line I find that $66.00 has been taken from PayPal so I thought, fine, I'll get the answer I paid for. NOW, when I type in an answer to your response I find that you want another $84.00 to talk on the phone. This is unacceptable! I will be contacting Paypal and filing a dispute if needed.

Let me make a few things clear to you. I don't own the site nor do I work for it.

I am a senior practicing lawyer. I just log in the way you do, I see a list of questions and choose which to answer based on my expertise.

Any message you post here is only read by me and not the site.

If you have a concern with the charges making threats is not going to help you. Rather, speak to customer service and if you want a refund then ask for it.

The cost of the all is an additional cost that was being offered to you as an option.

That's all.

Please speak to customer service and after that if you want to go ahead let me know.