I have a question regarding civil litigation. Ontario. I…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding civil litigation

Lawyer's Assistant: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I tried contacting lawyers but they don't know how to handle civil litigation

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Canada Law
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I am forced to go to appointments every month here in toronto to get a medical injection of abilify and i'm forced to take medication called setraline in the form of pills every morning and i used to be forced to take abilify in the form of pills on top of the injection. Eventually the abilify in pill form was decreased and now i'm off it. What I would like to know if what i can do to get out of this situation. I know that civil litigation was mentioned by a lawyer but i haven't been able to find a lawyer who does civil litigation to help me with this case. This all started in 2013 when my mom forced me to go to the hospital using ems and they tried to diagnose a mental health problem for two weeks while i was in hospital and then let me go. Afterwards, again in 2017 my mom used ems to force me to go to the hospital but this time they forced me to take medication for after the hospital time that i was there. I was there for more than a month if i remember correctly, drugged with the so called medication and very tired from the symptoms of the medication. What i would like to know is how to come out of this situation.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/26/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you an adult?

Do you know if your mom has been appointed as your legal guardian?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
i am an adult.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Right now I am 25. In february 2013 i was 19
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
february 2013 was when my mom first set me up to be in the hospital.

Are you saying that you were taken to CAMH or somewhere like that in Toronto on what is called a Form 1. There you were kept in the hospital against your will for a while and then released after you agree to take this medication?

Do you live on your own and make your own decisions about your finances and your care?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
1.I was indeed forced into the hospital on a form. Not sure which form though..
2, I live with my mom. My mom unfortunately somehow is responsible for my care. Not sure why or how but I am considered dependent on her.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I had been released the second time forced to take the medication. No choice and when i was in the hospital also i was forced to take the injection and the medication
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
All I want to know is what I can do about this case. I tried the phone lawyers services and they didn't help when i was in the hospital. I was pretty much forced to say that i was satisfied over the phone with a lawyer about the release that i had because one of the nurses was furious that the lawyer was talking to me over the phone. the stress i've been going through is ridiculous.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Also I was forced to accept ontario works and eventually ODSP as a result and i have a case worker from CAMH and I don't want any of that. I just want to live my life normally again, without the medication and so called "support" from the case worker.

When you get Ontario works payments do they go to you or your mother?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I was on ontario works now i'm on ODSP. Both go to me.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
When I was on Ontario Works, the payments went to me. Now that i'm on ODSP, the payments also go to me.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
But I don't want to be on ODSP anyways because I am not disabled.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I personally would never have applied to get Ontario works at that time nor today. I was just forced to because i was in the hospital and i was forced to sign the info for ontario works. I was too scared to say that I don't want to be on ontario works because everyone in the hospital that was working there as nurses and so on were giving me medication, putting restraints on my bed, etc.

I understand. I am trying to find out if your mother is appointed as your legal guardian by the court but if you get your own money and can use it then she has not been.

It sounds like your release from CAMH is conditional on your receiving medication.

So you need a psychiatric patient advocate to act for you.

What I suggest is that on Monday you contact ARCH Disability Law Centre and say you need some help. Explain what you said to me and make it clear that you don't want your mother making any decisions for you, and that the ODSP payments go to you so you don't believe she is your legal guardian.

Ask how to find a free lawyer or else an advocate to assist you.

Here is their website:

http://www.archdisabilitylaw.ca/

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 23 days ago

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
It's kind of hard for me to contact them over the phone because I live with my mom and my mom would hear what i'm saying over the phone. I emailed them but they haven't replied. Do you know if there is any way to get them to respond back, otherwise, can i be accommodated in this matter due to this situation that i live in?
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 22 days ago

You cannot do more than call or email. You can try and drop in. But there is no way of contacting someone if you cannot call them and they are not emailing back.

Please be sure to rate me now. I cannot get paid until you do and I should have been paid several days ago now. The post will not lock so we can continue if you need more legal information.

Thanks very much.