I want to know if I can keep the engagement ring if I end…

I want to know...

I want to know if I can keep the engagement ring if I end things with my fiancé. He falsely represented himself as totally single, telling me there was no unfinished business with his ex (a woman he has kids with out of wedlock). He is 19 years older than me (I’m 31, he’s 50) so I stupidly took him at his word. March 2018 he proposed to me and went on a vacation with his ex and kids without telling me. Then he reveals every other weekend during our relationship when he says he’s alone with his kids (never invited me) she is at his house. Can I keep the ring? He totally lied to me and his story that he’s not cheating isn’t adding up. He seems very resistant to taking her to court when he acts like she’s crazy and the problem. I am fed up but don’t think he should get the $50,000 ring back for breaking my heart, and I’m already out $12,000 for the wedding dress. Do I have a case?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the ex taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

I have no idea what is going on. First he sent me a message pretending he told me about the vacation (a lie) and saying he did this the past 5 years while in relationships with other women, acting like it’s normal. I had to suggest mediation, he was resistant. Claims he’s doing that but I’ve seen no physical evidence. I had to also refuse to see him until I met her. I asked if they were having an affair, she didn’t directly answer the question.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by province. What province are they in?

It’s very shady and I just want to end it and keep ring

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is Toronto, Ontario

5/16/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

In Ontario generally courts have held that if the recipient of the ring breaks off the engagement they must give the ring back. The idea is that the ring was a conditional gift, conditional on the marriage.

I am sorry this is not what you were hoping to hear.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

If he ends it do I have to give it back

No you don't.

to clarify, if I just start dating other people or be really difficult and get him to dump me on purpose - I can KEEP it? But if I dump him for lying to me for a year, HE keeps it? That’s crazy! So I basically have to provoke him to dump ME?

The law isn't about being fair.

The law is about how gifts are treated. And an engagement ring is considered to be a conditional gift.

It isn't about who is honest or ethical or right but I assume it is protect people who spend money on rings because they believe the person is going to marry them and then once they get the ring they should not be able to change their mind and keep the ring.

That is not what is happening in your case. But the good news is at least you found out about who he is before you married him. You are way ahead.

Another question - what’s the greatest extent one can legally remove themselves from an ex? Can they write in a custody agreement that the ex not contact them except through a lawyer? Or that’s up to them to just not respond to texts or calls from the ex about children?

They can agree with anything like that they want.

And a court could order something like that depending on the facts.

Is this possible to ask my fiancé to include in a written custody agreement with the ex? He is telling me certain things are not possible but I want to make sure he’s truly trying to separate from her and not keeping it open for more secret vacations?1. fixed access visitation or joint custody
2. Your sole communication with each other going forward is through a third party such as a mediator or lawyer
3. Door-to-door drop off of kids and attending children’s birthdays is your only interaction with each other
4. No answering calls or texts, send all communication about children thru the lawyerIs
Could I ask them to sign a document with these terms and show it to me? I’m not sure what’s possible in family law / child visitation agreements
Or a court has to ORDER this?

They can agree to what they want. But there is no way at all to say no communications aside from through a professional. That would be exorbitant in terms of the costs and be very harmful for the children.

I am not able to continue discussing this issue on this post.

This post was about the engagement ring. I've been reminded that this is a breach of the Terms of Service in the sense this is a second new question.

So please rate this post now and then start a new post for your new line of questions.

Debra, Lawyer
Ok thanks! How do I rate?

Thanks!