Is there such a thing as a tenant when a condo is registered…

Is there such a...

Is there such a thing as a tenant when a condo is registered be allowed to live in the unit forever until they decide to move?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

We will see what’s been registered and get back to you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

Waterloo.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I just think there must be some rules bc this tenant is letting the place run down. Thanks.

5/14/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you asking how to evict a tenant from the unit?

Are you the owner?

Is there such a thing as a “”life time tenant” when an apartment is converted to a condo?

No. That is not the law.

But the law is that only the owner of the unit can evict the tenant.

They can evict the tenant if the tenant breaches the tenancy agreement. So if the tenant doesn't pay rent for example. They can also evict the tenant if the tenant causes damage to the unit or to the common areas. They can also evict the tenant if the tenant is disturbing other tenants or owners.

The owner can also evict the tenant if the want to unit for themselves or their family.

So it is not for a life time but there have to be grounds for eviction.

That applies to all rental units and it has nothing to do with whether the unit is a condo.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer