I am a stockholder in an Ontario private corporation with 50…

Customer Question
I am a stockholder...

I am a stockholder in an Ontario private corporation with 50 stockholders. The current directors have refused to honor a proxy which would give me voting rights at the shareholders meeting. What course of action can I take. They want to limit the voting of directors to make all stockholders vote for them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

They have sent their own version of a proxy to the shareholders, where the stockholders can vote for anything at the meeting, except for the election of directors.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We plan to nominate directors from the floor, but this version of the proxy would prevent the stockholders from voting on the nominees.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Canada Law
5/13/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

The Business Corporations Act protects all minority shareholders.

You have an absolute right to vote by proxy at any meeting and they cannot restrict that right.

I suggest telling them this and if that doesn't work have a lawyer send them a letter threatening a lawsuit.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?