Back in February i hired a contractor to install my hardwood…

Customer Question
Back in February i...

Back in February i hired a contractor to install my hardwood flooring in a home i just purchased. He sent me a quote, i agreed. I was placed under the impression that he would be working full time on installing my floor only to find out his first day on the job that i was a side job and he would be working, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, which turned to Sundays after the very first Saturday, he informed me his first Tuesday evening that he would not be renting a disposal bin and that he was just going to take the demolished materials to the dump himself, however he did not make the necessary change to the quote that we agreed too, i also had asked him to remove a vinyl install that was 300$. not long after he started he began to not show and after many requests to remove the bin charge and the vinyl install i decided to go through the original quote and make the changes myself, however at this point with his continued no shows i decided to fire him. The original quote was 6060$ and he asked for half up front so i paid him 3030$.... after going through the quote and only paying him for what he had done so far it turned out that he owed me just over 2k.... he then decided to change his original quote so that he owed me nothing and i still owed him like 75$. He then basically gave me 2 options, either i allowed him to finish the job at the original quoted price or he leaves it as is and i owe him 75$. I had 3 other non related contractors come in all 3 stated that the work that he has done was not done properly and 2 refused to fix the floor and walked out on me. I emailed him back and gave him 2 options, A he either now pays me the full 3030$ back and we leave it or i take him to court and he not only pays me 3030$ but the cost of what it will be to fix his bad job plus my fees for court and i would inform his current employer of what he has done to me with legal documents to back my claim and that if i was awarded any costs, which i feel pretty confident i will, that i would then hire a collections company to gouge his wages. He disagreed and told me an inspector would back his work and then tried to tell me that i never allowed him in my house and that he has made 3 attempts at trying to resolve this issue, which i have emails to prove that all he has done is say that i go with his option a or his option B and that's that. Please advise me on how to proceed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in manitoba canada

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Directly emailing the contractor, and i have made contact with an inspector to come and make a legal document that i can submit for evidence that he did the job wrong.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Pretty much it

Submitted: 14 days ago.Category: Canada Law
4/12/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 14 days ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

How much will you have to pay someone else to make all the repairs?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I have a quote of just over $5700... just over $2500 for new install and about the same , $2500, to basically pull it all up again... the best part... he didn't even finish the job... he wasnt even half way done.

And what was the job supposed to cost in total and what did you pay him in total?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
The old job was quoted as $6060 and I paid him $3030

This means that really he owes you all you paid him as the work had to be completely redone.

I suggest that you send him a demand letter by Registered Mail demanding a full refund by a deadline that you set. Tell him that if he fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and will be seeking interest and your costs.

You can then sue him in Small Claims Court and can self-represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 13 days ago

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer