I'm looking for some info concerning canada's labor laws.

Customer Question
Hello, I'm looking for...

Hello, I'm looking for some info concerning canada's labor laws. Are you located in Canada?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Canadian lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. I've already taken 2 weeks bereavement days and I need more days off as the funerals are outside Canada. I'll be back to Canada on May 9th

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if the labor law specifies a "number of reasonable" weeks for bereavement days.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Canada Law
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am a lawyer in Canada and can help but please let me know your province because the laws sometimes differ depending on the province.

Also, are you in a union?

And what does the employment contract or collective agreement say about bereavement leave?

Thanks Debra
I live in Ontario and no we are not unionized. Please give me 3min to check my employment contract.
Thanks

Let me know when you've found it.

Thanks

In additional circumstances, if you require additional time off (travel time), it will be considered an unpaid leave of absencr and will need to be approved by your manager in consultation with human resources. The only exception to this is if you have earned vacation time and your manager approves this additional time off
If you require additional time off it will be considered a leave of absence and will need to be approved by your leader in consultation with human resources
For unpaid leave of absence... in exceptional circumstances you may request one extension for a maximum of 3months

The law is that you are entitled to 10 days in each calendar year for personal emergency leave and that does include bereavement leave.

The first two days are paid leave and the other 8 are unpaid.

If your contract gives you more than you would get more. But they cannot give you less.

If you have already been off for two weeks you are not entitled to more but your contract says they may agree. It is at their discretion.

I am sorry this is not what you were hoping to hear and very sorry for your loss.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?