I was awarded a payment by Worksafe BC that dates back to…

Customer Question
I was awarded a...

I was awarded a payment by Worksafe BC that dates back to 1983. I maintain that I should be paid interest on that money. What does Canadian law have to say about interest on late payments by government agencies?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I'm retired.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Canada Law
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

But I don't understand the facts. Are you saying this was awarded but never paid until now and you are getting it now without interest?

I broke my wrist at work in 1983. I was paid temporary benefits and then went back to work although the wrist was somewhat impaired. In 2011 the wrist was really giving me trouble. I went to Worksafe BC and was awarded a small pension. I said the pension should be backdated to the original date of injury, 1983, and won that on appeal. Now I say that I should be paid interest on the lump sum payment I received that represents the late payment by Worksafe.
Don't call me. I can't afford it.

OK

No call.

Can I see decision that you were granted when you appealed?

Sure, but I don't see how it's relevant.I just need to know what, if anything, Canadian law has to say about interest on late payments by a government agency. They have lots to say about interest on late payments from us to them.

It is relevant because if this was ordered in the appeal you would get interest for sure.

Generally the way the law works is that the court would order pre and post judgment interest and then interest would be calculated pursuant to regulations.

If the decision only awarded a lump sum and nothing more then it is not likely you can get interest.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?