I am a member of a Board of Directors at a community center…

Customer Question
Good afternoon, Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good afternoon,

Lawyer's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I am a member of a Board of Directors at a community center in Nova Scotia. Our Board are all volunteers. We have an annual contract to rent a room for our Senior Citizens Club in the community center. Our Board is encouraging the Seniors Club to acquire liability insurance for the activities in their room. They are telling the Board that they do not want to because of the cost. Should an event occur in their room resulting in injuries, who would be responsible to handle the resulting costs? Our insurance company for the community center tell me that the Seniors Club is not covered by our insurance. Thank you for your clarification. Any suggestions to help our Seniors Club to move to liability insurance would be appreciated. Thank you. Pam

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Nova Scotian lawyer about this?

We do not have a lawyer on our Board. I can contact my family lawyer to ask his advice. Thank you. Pam

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

To date we have contacted our insurance company and the City of Halifax. The city tells us that each community center owned by HRM are responsible for acquiring their own insurance. Any parties renting at the Community Center are recommended to get their own liability insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Our insurance company tells the Board that anyone using the Community Center outside of the rented room(s) are covered for events or injury on the sidewalks, hallways, foyer and parking lot.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Canada Law
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 22 days ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Let me make sure that I understand the facts.

The community centre building is owned by the city.

But there is a board that manages the centre.

The city has insurance for the building but you are being told it doesn't cover instances where some group leases a room. Is that it?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The city has insurance for the physical building. The Board of Directors is required to purchase liability insurance for the Board of Directors and any events run or sponsored by the Board of Directors. Any person or group renting for one day or a long term rental must carry their own liability insurance. The Seniors Club do not want to purchase liability insurance.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I feel that this site is just a scam. I did not ask for help from a cardiologist, yet this continues to come up. Please discontinue any correspondence and refund my money. You are not helping.

So if someone fell they would sue the city and that is fine.

But you are saying if someone coming to the seniors event decides to sue the board for some reason the board is not insured?

Or you saying if the seniors run and event and someone sues because they were not happy about the event then if they sued the board you are not covered and if they sued the city the city insurance would not cover this and so then would the city blame the board and sue you?

I am trying to figure out what can happen to you exactly.

I just saw your post. I am a senior lawyer. The site has a glitch. I can assure you I am not a cardiologist.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you for cancelling my request for legal assistance. You are not helping. I am a volunteer and I cannot afford to call you or to have you call me. Please refund my deposit as your help is not helping.

I am not able to cancel a thing. I am a practicing lawyer. I don't work for the site. I just log in the way you do and see a list of questions and choose which to answer.

If you don't want me to continue then ask for a refund by contacting customer service. But please stop posting here as the messages only go to me and I don't have the time to work for free.

But if you saw my list of questions you would see that I am gathering information so I can answer of course.

Thanks

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor