I'm looking at 700 square feet retail space in a shopping…

Customer Question
Hi there, I'm looking...

Hi there, I'm looking at 700 square feet retail space in a shopping center to open up a hair salon. I deal with landlord s agent without my own broker . They ask for 35$ per sf in rent alone, and said they won't go below 30$. I thought it is not bad. When I asked for 3 months free rent with some TI, they give me 20$ per sf and 1 month free rent but change the asking rent to 39 per sf. Now I want 3 months free rent because many landlords offer that option and offer rent at 30$ or 32$ is my target but I don't know how to ask them because they ask very high compared to start . I'm scared they think I am too demanding as tenant

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I'm haven't replied yet. I'm trying to figure things out how to deal with them in a way they will work to my favor

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

I'm in Alberta Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They also have a clause that say my5 year term can be termination if the landlord requires to do work on the building or they may need to either terminate my lease or relocate my business if they need to during lease

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/31/2018
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 26 days ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Can you tell me how long it will take until I get the answer
Thank you
Lisa
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 25 days ago
Hello again,
We can not predict or guarantee response time, just because the volume of questions, number of Experts online, complexity of questions, and other factors vary.
Your question is open to all Experts.
Thank you for your response.
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that you are in a bit of a difficult situation.

I am not quite clear of the facts.

Are you saying you entered into an agreement or are you still negotiating up and back?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I haven't make an offer yet. Trying to find way to negotiate things more into my favor but I don't know how
Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor