I worked for a company from sept until March when I quit for…

Customer Question
I worked for a...

I worked for a company from sept until March when I quit for a new job, the company I left is saying they don’t have to pay me vacation pay because I didn’t work Full year, is that legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I asked the terminal manager and he said they were working on my check but then today I get the roe from them with it written on there that there won’t be any paid out. I called the labour board but have not gotten a answer from them and no I have not talked to a lawyer, wanted to know my rights first

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union, I am a commercial driver

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you, ***** ***** would like to know if I am entitled to the vacation pay

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok thank you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Lawyer: jaccorps_esq,
 replied 3 months ago
jaccorps_esq

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

(The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you which is NOT from me. I will not accept a phone call request and will work through the chat system.)

What state are you in?

I live in Ontario
I worked for the company in Milton, Ontario
Lawyer: jaccorps_esq,
 replied 3 months ago

This question should have been posted in Canada law, not U.S. law.

I will have the question transferred, but it will be a minute.

Thank you
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

I am a lawyer in Ontario and happy to help.

While you did not earn vacation time until the one year has passed the employer is incorrect and you earn vacation pay whenever you earn wages. If you work for one hour you get vacation pay for that one hour, that is 4% of what you earned.

So if you didn't get your 4% per pay cheque you do get 4% now.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?