I recently bought a vehicle privately for $5000 and the

I recently bought a...

I recently bought a vehicle privately for $5000 and the fellow I bought if off advertised it to have this work done to it, when I got it back home and took it apart to check this work was not done and to get the work done is over $7000.00. Is there anything I can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

I’m in Saskatchewan, Canada. No I have no help yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have called the lawyer and they told me to go to small claims court, haven’t had time to make it there yet was hoping to get there today. I was just curious if it was going to be worth all of the headache

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so nope.

3/28/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Have you spoken to the seller about this?

Thank you. I have yes, the day after I picked up the truck I got ahold of him and asked him to just simply give me the money back and I’ll drop the truck back off but he did not want to do that
The seller is a friend of my girlfriend and he lives just across the train tracks from me, in the same small town

Then unfortunately your next best step is to send him a letter, demanding reimbursement by full and telling him that if he fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then be seeking damages, interest and your costs.

You can then sue him in Small Claims Court and can self-represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Okay. I sent him an email a couple days ago saying that I was going to go to court about it if he wasn’t going to resolve this and he said a judge would just throw it out so I shouldn’t threaten him with that. So my next step would be to go to the court house then?
I appreciate the help thank you

The is no reason at all that a judge will throw it out. He blatantly lied to you.

You don't have to go to the courthouse at this point.

All the information you need is here:

https://sasklawcourts.ca/home/provincial-court/small-claims-court

Okay perfect thanks so much

You are very welcome. I noticed you didn't rate me yet. Can you do so now so that I can get paid?

Thanks!

Debra, Lawyer