I have a tow company in southern alberta. Many times we are…

Customer Question
I have a tow...

I have a tow company in southern alberta. Many times we are asked by the RCMP to tow vehicles that have been involved in accidents as well as clean up the accident sites from the highway or fields. Some of these drivers refuse to file an insurance claim and refuse to pay the bill. They abandon their vehicles in our storage lot. Under the Alberta Insurance Act is there a way to reclaim our expenses through the PLPD portion of their insurance by bypassing the registered owned and filing directly with the insurance commpany.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Alberta lawyer about this?

No. I just got stuck with another one and it was mentioned that I might be able to do this. If so, I know I would have to have a lawyer draw up a letter template to send to insurance companies that would reference the appropriate sections of the act.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Not much. This particular and latest one is an example. Phone call 1: she said she would file a claim 3 weeks ago but we heard nothing from the insurance company. Phone call 2: voice mail, no return call. Phone call 3: same thing. Phone call 4; hung up on me. I called the insurance company with her policy number that was on her pink slip in the car. They said they would do nothing until she filed a claim. I little bit more digging and found it that we would never get this paid by her personally..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Canada Law
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry that this question has sat all night. I am positing now to explain why. The lawyers on this sit cannot draft templates or letters at all.

I can suggest how to find a lawyer in Alberta if that will help.

If not please ask the site for a refund.

Thanks

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor