My husband and I own a commercial building through our

My husband and I...

My husband and I own a commercial building through our limited corporation in Winnipeg. Our current tenant is making us an offer to buy the building. We are retired and live in BC. Is there a way we can sign all documents including closing paper from BC so we don't have to travel to Winnipeg? We own the building free and clear so there's no mortgage to be paid off, and we assume the paperwork should be really simple.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Our tenant has submitted an offer to us, but we have not accepted it because we need to figure out first how we can close the deal remotely. My husband is not in health condition to fly.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Manitoba lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

3/27/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry your husband is not well.

You do not have to travel to Winnipeg.

All you have to do is hire a real estate lawyer in Winnipeg and they will get the documents ready and sent to you to sign. There is no concern at all.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Can we get the documents signed electronically from home? Or would we have to go to a notary public office to sign the documents and send them back? If so, since I own 50% of our corporation, can I represent my husband and sign for both of us? I would have to hire a home aid to help us for the day if my husband has to go sign at a notary public office too.

You would have to sign the documents. Electronic signatures would not work. But you could physically sign them in your home.

Someone could come to the home if necessary.

And you could also get your spouse to sign a Power of Attorney so you can sign for him.

But retain the lawyer first and the lawyer will assist with all of that.

Our son lives in Winnipeg, could we both sign a Power of Attorney to our son and have him deal with a lawyer and all the paperwork in Winnipeg?

Yes that is true if that makes it easier for you.

There will be a specific POA form that you need for real estate deals. So the real estate lawyer will provide them for you.

Debra, Lawyer