I am wondering I have a friend who has a son that has gone…

Hi I am wondering...

Hi I am wondering I have a friend who has a son that has gone missing and they have tried to track his phone to see where he was last and apple wont let them access his phone because they dont know his security question. can they have his phone information subpoenaed

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

British columbia canada

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

They have contacted apple to access the find my iphone app but they dont have his security questions so apple told them they cant help them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They police has also tried but they were told the same thing

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are the police not willing to get a warrant compelling them to produce this information?

the family has been told by the RCMP that they cant do anything

That doesn't make the least bit of sense. I assume they don't believe the son is in danger as they most assuredly could get a warrant.

The family can try and get a court order but it could take some time.

I suggest that the family retain a lawyer at once. The lawyer can first try and put pressure on the RCMP.

If that doesn't work then the lawyer can try and get an order on an emergency basis that apple provide the information required.

Another approach would be for them to ask apple if they can track the phone just to confirm it is on and trackable, at least, and perhaps they would give out some information to assist without breaching confidentiality.

I am assume the son is an adult. If not then they cannot keep this information from the parent who is the legal guardian.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

No thank you I have passed this information on to the family. thankyou

You are very welcome.

Please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and take good care.

Debra, Lawyer