I hope you are having a great day. i am an american citizen…

Customer Question
Hi there! i hope...

Hi there! i hope you are having a great day. i am an american citizen that has been living in nelson BC for several months. i really like to sit down with an attorney or assistant and see what the best route for me would be to attempt to become a citizen. i am considering attempting to buy a house here so want some advice... you guys don't know of any immigration attorneys in this area by any chance do you?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No- i haven't done anything yet because what i read was that i had to be here for so many days a year for 5 years... and i don't see how i can do that if i can only be here for 6 months and then i have to leave im in the very very beginning stages obviously. thats why i just wanted to sit down with someone and explain my situation in detail and see if they think its worth pursuing citizenshp

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?

No- youre the first person i have contacted

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well. I'm an american adult male. basically i have been living seasonally between colorado and my home state. i would really like to be able to be in Nelson for 6 months a year (winter). my neighbor is a realtor and has been sending me some listings... so i theoretically could be interested in buying a house here in the next year IF there aren't all manner of unknown hurdles in the way. I've read some stuff about tax laws to dissuade foreign land ownership, etc. just sort of want to see what my options are if any

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Canada Law
3/27/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you asking for an explanation of the law (you are not understanding it just yet given your post) or do you want me to suggest how to find a lawyer in BC or both?

Thanks