I want to know if there is any legislation in Canada

Hi -- I want...

Hi -- I want to know if there is any legislation in Canada supporting the need for emotional support animals. If you could direct this to me, I would really appreciate this.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Canadian family court?

It is not for me. I am a mental health therapist employed by ESA Doctors. A emotional support animal is recognized in the States, but there is not much information on the needs for a Emotional Support Animal.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No I have not

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Are there are fees to chat with lawyer?

3/26/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Why does this matter. The law that applies rely on what this is for.

I’m a mental health therapist and I work for esa doctors. I receive applications from individuals who suffer from mental health challenges. I’m interested in knowing what law allows them to bring an emotional support animal when travelling or in a residence.

I understand.

The airlines are required to allow an ESA animal so long as the flyer has a letter that says they need the support animal for flying. Each airline requires similar points in the letter.

In terms of living accommodations or even entering a dining establishment, again, if there is a letter that says the owner of the animal needs the support it would be discrimination and against the Human Rights Code to now allow the animal in. But it is all about reasonable accommodation and undue hardship. So for example, if a landlord says that the neighbour has an extreme allergy to cats they could deny a cat even if this is a support cat.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Thanks for responding. Is there a law that I can quote in my letter to the individual and then they give this to airlines
What are the points.

It's really from the case law that arises from interpretation of the Human Rights Code.

I suggest you review the websites of the airlines as they tell you exactly what has to be in the letter.

There is a good article you can read but I cannot provide the link as it turns into a PDF file but if you google Lending a Helping Paw: An Overview of the Law of Service Animals in Ontario by Goldblatt and partners you will find it.

Person helping me was excellent.

Awww. Thanks. But the comment only went to me.

If you could rate me by clicking on the stars at the top the page then the site would see the rating as well.

Thanks and take good care.

Debra, Lawyer