Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I am a victim of scam and td bank i smaking me run in

Customer Question

hi i am a victim of scam and td bank i smaking me run in circles
JA: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: they sent me a confirmation of settlement and release which i find tricky
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: called the bank, filed a police report amd filed it too at canadian anti fraud
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: do you have aminute so i an run down the story?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Please take your time to set out the facts. There is no rush.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi
are you ready to read?
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Yes please provide the facts.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Someone offered me a job. Sent a cheque as advance payment. Deposited it and bank encashed it right away. Sender of the cheque asked me to deposit portion of the amount sent to someone who has TD account too.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Few days after, I discovered my account went on negative... ran to the bank and was told i was a victim of a scam
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they had me call fraud dept to discuss the case... I was told i was naive and stupid to accept a cheque from a stranger...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Then they said i had to bring a copy of the cheque for them to investigate... So I did... Then I asked them what am supposed to do next when I'm supposed to deposit a pay cheque in order for me to be able to pay bills
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
March 9 i opened another checking account giving me the assurance that they will not be taking my money that will come in the new account
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But they did. So I called the customer complained department and they have agreed to pay the amount they took. They want me to sign a confirmation of settlement and release form
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

I cannot know if you are done or not.

Are these all the facts?

What is your specific question please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need you to review a paper
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They want me to sign prior to releasing the funds they took from my account
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still tbere?
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Yes of course I am still there but the way the site works is you post and wait and then I reply. You just keep posting over and over again and I have no idea when you are done..

I am not able to review legal documents. That is not what we do. You need your own lawyer for that.

I can just provide legal information.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that's it??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the time?
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

I can answer your questions about the law and explain what will happen if you sign, if you don't sign, what they are liable for, what you are liable for etc.