My best friend Les has terminal cancer and has been living…

My best friend Les...

My best friend Les has terminal cancer and has been living common law for over 20 years with his common law wife Dahlia.He has a current will and leaves every thing to her and her boys and there families. Question should we see a lawyer about the house and have it put in here name or with the will and the house going to Dahlia the will is sufficient and there is no need to put house in here name. Thanks for your Help Al

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Mortgage papers and the current will

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

British Columbia Canada

3/26/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Can I assume that Les is mentally competent at this point?

he is

If the house is put into the common law spouse's name then this will avoid probate fees. So it is a bit less expensive then waiting until he dies.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?