I received a letter in the mail about an outstanding debt…

I received a letter...

I received a letter in the mail about an outstanding debt from 10 years ago. Now the balance outstanding is 13,900. it was a letter sent more than 10 days ago. They said they will be initiating an asset investigation. I'm aware of statue of limitations act in Ontario as I live in AB. Do they have the right once a judgment is maid to garnish wages or put a lien in against my house?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Ontario lawyer about this?

No I have not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None yet. I may try and just settle for a 10% amount paid in full tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can they actually take me to court for the full amount. Also am I able to use the statue of limitations act as my defense?

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/25/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

If they get a judgment they can garnish wages or register liens but if the debt went into default 10 years ago they are 8 years too late. They cannot sue you so they will never get a judgment and they full know it.

Does that clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
what do you feel is the best possible thing I do about from here? Should I contact them and try and settle?
is this letter just a scare tactic being issued? Or should I not even worry about anything
Phone call session started

I think you should ignore them. They cannot sue so there is no need to settle.