I used a virtual private network to purchase a $25.00

I used a virtual...

I used a virtual private network to purchase a $25.00 netflix gift card on U.S. amazon website rather than a Canadian one. I then proceeded to use a U.S. postal code to sign in to the U.S version of netflix. I haven't watched any movies yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I just have not watched any movies.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm concerned because of my experience with the Canadian border patrol and I just got my passport a few weeks sago so I don't want federal immigration authorities revoking my passport.

I forgot to tell you that I live in Canada.
3/25/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry you are worried. Are you asking if you will have a problem with your passport from a Canadian point of view because you used a US postal code to log into a website?

No I used a service with a U.S postal and paid in Canadian dollars.

This is not a criminal offence in Canada and no one is going to find out that you signed into netflix using a US account. In fact families share accounts all the time and it could be that a family member in Canada uses the same account as a family member in the US.

This is not going to harm you in any way nor will it ever become an issue that can affect your right as a Canadian to have a passport.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Thank you very much! There might be one more question I have to sort out but that should be all.

You are very welcome.

Please be sure to rate me now. If you think of another question I will be here for you of course.

I was worried because I used to purchase alcohol on the U.S. side of the border where I had do declare it and pay for it again. Wasn't too sure about netflix when I was paying for a video stream service in Canadian dollars.

It's not the same thing.

I have kids away at school and they use my Netflix account all the time. I also buy things from Amazon.com through my kid's account when I am home or away. It's not an offence.

Debra, Lawyer
Thank you for letting me know that. I feel relieved because of so many people bypassing the Canadian version of netflix to obtain the U.S version. Thank you again. I think this will be all I need to know.