Story short. We had a 2 year rent to own contract on a house…

Customer Question
Long story short. We...

Long story short. We had a 2 year rent to own contract on a house and the owner defaulted after a year and said he was selling the property. We paid $1300 a month and $300 of that was for land taxes and the other $1000 was to be put as the down payment of the house.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

He defaulted and we sent notice that we were moving out. He is now charging us with theft under $5000

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

We knew nothing about this until last night when my partner was arrested for theft.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Grande Prairie AB

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Law
3/24/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Debra, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear that it sounds like you are in a difficult situation.But the facts are not adding up.First, how will the owner be defaulting?What has this got to do with criminal issues and charges of theft?What is your specific question please?
He defaulted on the contract by telling me he was putting the house up for sale. We gave him written notice of moving out. He is now charging us for a month rent and a washer and dryer

Are you saying his called the police?

as I said my partner was arrested last night for theft under $5000 we had no idea he was doing anything.

Theft of what?

The cop said a months rent and price of a washer and dryer

That is not a criminal matter. Did the cop say this to you?

To my partner when he was arrested last night.
My partner also saw my name on the computer when the cop brought up his arrest warrant so I assume there's a warrant for my arrest as well so I'll have to take time off work to go turn myself in if there's a warrant for my arrest. I'm not sure if there actually is or not but my partner was arrested and has to go to be fingerprinted and appears in court April 2nd for the charges.
We are just not sure what to do. It was a complete shock to my partner last night.

But the police do not charge anyone for not paying rent or for not paying for a washer and dryer. Did he take the washer and dryer out of the home?

I am going to opt out and ask a criminal lawyer to take this over as it makes no sense to me.

Thanks

It doesn't make any sense to me either. Thanks.
Lawyer: Daniel Freudman, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

I am a criminal lawyer. I think it would be best to call as the facts you set out do not quite make sense, so a live discussion may be a preferable way to get to the heart of the issues.

Idk rather not call as I've already been charged $50 and have no useful guidance so far thanks anyway. I guess I'll have to find a layer and see what happens in court