Out of 35 years experience in selling equipment for

Out of 35 years...

Out of 35 years experience in selling equipment for woodworking industry, last 8 year I spend with the company and brought with me many connections world wide in MFG of equipment and end users. Now at 73 I decided to retire, but many of my clients who works with me for 35 years are asking if I can still help them. My question - can my ex-employer can put some legal implications for me to da that. I did not have any contracts with him, no "noncompete " close. Thank you Manuel

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the non-compete agreement with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all, I think

3/24/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

What province are you in please?

These clients are approaching you and you are not soliciting them. Is that the situation?

Alberta, These clients work with me for many years and when I told them that I retire they ask if I can continue helping them
I would prefer communicating by chat
Am I to wait on answers here ?

You are allowed to compete so long as you don't do so unfairly.

You did not sign a non-competition agreement. So as long as you don't use confidential information that you obtained during the course of your employment and so long as you are not soliciting these clients you are not doing anything that you could be sued for successfully.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

you helped me by confirming my view on situation. You earned your 5 star.
For how long ( foe no charge ) and how can I contact you latter if questions come up ?
My charge for this consult is one time only and no following charges will accuse ?
Thank you
Manuel

I am glad I helped. Please be sure to click on the stars at the top of the page so the site sees the rating.

There is no time limit and you can come back with follow-up questions at any time.

I don't work for the site so I don't get any information about your account except I would be told if you signed up for a membership and you did not so I would assume there are not further charges.

sorry, but I still don't understand the procedure for follow up questions, how do I do it ?

You just log back in and continue on this post.

Debra, Lawyer