I am looking for some advice regarding my current

I am looking for...

I am looking for some advice regarding my current separation/divorce.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No not yet, things went very far south just in the last day or two and I am trying to educate myself and do what I can to best prepare before I am served

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by province. What province are you in?

Alberta

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have 3 children, 2 of which are legally mine. Since she left in December I have been paying 1500 a month and have had the kids probably 35-40% of the time

3/24/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Thank you. It kind of cut me off in asking my question. Should I continue paying her the 1500 per month until we sit down with lawyers or should I stop until some written agreement is created

I am sorry to hear this.

I need a lot more of the basic facts and then I have to be clear about what your question is.

How long were you married for?

Did you live together first and if so for how long?

Is there a separation or court order?

What is the $1500 a month for- child support?

Are your incomes equal?

What is happening with the assets?

Do you mean that one of the children is a step child?

Married since sept 2013
Lived together for 3 years prior
No separation or court order
1500 is “child support” however also has been stated that if I don’t pay her that she will come after me for half of a supposed $60000 shared debt, which I have no idea what that is from unless she is includingtje $55000 van which she has and is only in her name.
I make $84000 and she makes close to 100000
Not much for assets
One step child but not legally adopted
that being said is it advisable to continue paying her if she now says she does not want me to have 50/50 and will take me to court? Or should I withhold until a written agreement is made

You should pay child support based on the Federal Child Support Guidelines and your gross annual income. Based on $84,000 and 3 kids in Alberta you should be paying $1,623.00.

But there is no doubt that you should be sure to get something in writing soon. So the most prudent course of action for you is to consult with a family lawyer in your city with a view to retaining the lawyer to assist you in negotiating a settlement agreement or else proceeding to court if necessary.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or
***-***-**** in Calgary

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Thank you

You are very welcome.

Enjoy your weekend.