How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 107654
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking for some advice regarding my current

This answer was rated:

I am looking for some advice regarding my current separation/divorce.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no not yet, things went very far south just in the last day or two and I am trying to educate myself and do what I can to best prepare before I am served
JA: Family law varies by province. What province are you in?
Customer: Alberta
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have 3 children, 2 of which are legally mine. Since she left in December I have been paying 1500 a month and have had the kids probably 35-40% of the time

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. It kind of cut me off in asking my question. Should I continue paying her the 1500 per month until we sit down with lawyers or should I stop until some written agreement is created

I am sorry to hear this.

I need a lot more of the basic facts and then I have to be clear about what your question is.

How long were you married for?

Did you live together first and if so for how long?

Is there a separation or court order?

What is the $1500 a month for- child support?

Are your incomes equal?

What is happening with the assets?

Do you mean that one of the children is a step child?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Married since sept 2013
Lived together for 3 years prior
No separation or court order
1500 is “child support” however also has been stated that if I don’t pay her that she will come after me for half of a supposed $60000 shared debt, which I have no idea what that is from unless she is includingtje $55000 van which she has and is only in her name.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I make $84000 and she makes close to 100000
Not much for assets
One step child but not legally adopted
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that being said is it advisable to continue paying her if she now says she does not want me to have 50/50 and will take me to court? Or should I withhold until a written agreement is made

You should pay child support based on the Federal Child Support Guidelines and your gross annual income. Based on $84,000 and 3 kids in Alberta you should be paying $1,623.00.

But there is no doubt that you should be sure to get something in writing soon. So the most prudent course of action for you is to consult with a family lawyer in your city with a view to retaining the lawyer to assist you in negotiating a settlement agreement or else proceeding to court if necessary.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or
***-***-**** in Calgary

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra and 3 other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome.

Enjoy your weekend.