I have suffered a great deal of harassment and

I have suffered a...

I have suffered a great deal of harassment and discrimination at my workplace. It's been an issue for several years now. Examples include HR telling me my disability, anxiety disorder and depression, is a choice, there are at least 2 witnesses who heard this. Management who've told me to get over my disability. Co-workers who have been caught telling lies about me in the efforts to get me fired, there's video evidence of this, and many more. Based on my talks with my employer, the City of Lethbridge, I have reason to believe they are attempting to fire me without violating the union contract. This is too long a story to type here to fully explain why I believe this. My union has pretty much just gave a shrug and told me I should decide what I think is best for me when I raised the issue of taking my complaints to the courts. However my problem is I don't have the money for a lawyer and need a lawyer who'll be willing to work on a contingency fee basis. I live in Lethbridge, Alberta and need to know if there is a lawyer or a firm who'd be willing to do this. Is there?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this discrimination issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

As written HR has contributed to the issue as well as management. I haven't approached a lawyer due to my not being able to afford it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes, again as written they have simply shrugged and told me I needed to do what I feel is best for me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't have any money and thus need the lawyer to be willing to take my case on a contingency fee basis. Also that there are witnesses and video footage as evidence to my complaints.

3/24/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

What exactly did the union do if anything at all.

They talked to the city but never told me the results. When I expressed my concerns last time, including my fear the city is using technicalities to end my employment - a way of firing me without actually firing me, and how desperate and scared I was becoming to the point where I'm considering legal action they said I had to do what I thought was best for myself. And that's it. Literally nothing more.
That's alright, typing will be fine.

As you likely know you cannot go after the union on your own in most cases when you are in a union. The union must do so for you and they have a significant and vital obligation to represent you fairly. If they fail to represent you fairly then you can file a complaint of unfair representation against the union and seek damages.

As well, if this is discrimination and you can show the Human Rights Commission that the union is not helping then they may agree to accept a complaint of discrimination.

I suggest at this point you consider these options.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer