My mother just passed away - am I obligated to send a copy…

My mother just passed...

My mother just passed away - am I obligated to send a copy of her

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Will to a sister that is not mentioned in her will?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have a will only

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not at all - that is it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Lorens35

Posted in error

DMWEsq

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's passing. The answer to your question is no; you aren't obligated to send a copy of the will to her sister. When you have the will probated, you have to provide a copy to the court, but the law doesn't require that you send a copy to beneficiaries or relatives at all. If they would like, they could go to the courthouse and view a copy and they could certainly informally request a copy from you, but you aren't required to send a copy at all to anyone other than the probate court.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Josie-Mod
I am Josie, a moderator for this topic.
The Experts who initially responded are unable to continue to assist with your question at this time.
Your question is open to all experts in Canada Law.
Debra, Lawyer

I am sorry for your loss.

What province did your mother live in?

Debra, Lawyer

I am not sure you have a full answer yet. Please let me know your province.