How does a criminal charge in Korea affect a Canadian

How does a criminal...

How does a criminal charge in Korea affect a Canadian citizen living in Canada?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Canadian lawyer about this?

I have a Korean lawyer in Korea but no, I have not talked to a Canadian lawyer yet. This site popped up in my search for online answers

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have legal representation in Korea to prepare for a judge's summary judgement. The charge is unlawful use of an automobile

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What does a foreign criminal conviction mean for travel abroad for a Canadian citizen?
Does a foreign criminal conviction for "unlawful use of an automobile" show up in a Canadian background/vulnerable sector check

3/22/2018

While you are in Canada, and a Canadian citizen, you should not experience any difficulties even if you had this foreign conviction. You can enter and exit Canada at your leisure, as is your constitutional right as a Canadian citizen. If you were applying for residency / citizenship in Canada then a foreign criminal record would certainly make a difference but if you already are a citizen here then that's not applicable. Ordinary record checks would only show Canadian criminal records, which would not include the Korean one. Even a vulnerable sector check would be quite unlikely to reflect these Korean charges / conviction since the check is done through CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre), which would show all Canadian police instances / occurrences / records, and although USA has some sharing between there database I cannot see such a record search turning up any results from your Korean conviction. In summary, it should not have any dramatic effects on your life in Canada. As for travelling abroad, it would depend on the country e.g. if the specific country you seek to travel to does not allow people with convictions (regardless of if conviction is from Canada, Korea, or elsewhere). That said, as the charge doesn't appear overly serious (relatively speaking), it is unlikely it would have a big bearing, but again it would be best to first consult an immigration lawyer from the specific country you are seeking to enter.

Hopefully that answers your question. If so, would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive credit for my services, thank you.