I have a employee that has worked for me just over 20 years…

Customer Question
I have a employee...

I have a employee that has worked for me just over 20 years am I in any way responsible for giving him a severance package when he quits if so how much or percentage .

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does the employee belong to a union?

Yes . Does not belong to union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh no I don't think I thought you could give me answer on my question on chat line

Lawyer's Assistant: I apologize.

Ok he or her can phone me at 306-483 -8988

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Canada Law
3/21/2018
Lawyer: RobertJDFL,
 replied 3 months ago

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Lawyer: RobertJDFL,
 replied 3 months ago

I just saw that the country is listed as Canada, but this was in the legal/Employment law category for the U.S. Are you in Canada? If so, I'll ask a moderator to move this question to the appropriate category for you.

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear you are concerned.

The employee is not entitled to severance pay if he resigns unless something in the contract provides for this.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?