I'm a cancer surviour I got treated at Princess Hospital in…

Customer Question
I'm a cancer surviour...

I'm a cancer surviour I got treated at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto Ont.......I was going to be treated with 35 radiation treatments and 2 chemo....the Oncology Dr knew I had a connective tissue disorder and could experience greater toxicity to radiation I began treatment.I reacted badly to the first chemo and it was decided not to have the second one....but unknown to me they decided I required a change in the fractionation in my radiation treatment...As my reaction to the radiation got worse and worse I asked them why this was happening my oncology doctor assured me this was normal and for me to continue till I finished 35 treatments...now as a result I am destroyed physically..I cannot swallow...I can not lift my head ,can only talk for a short period of time in a raspy head..cant turn my head ..my face swells up ..my soft pallet is destroyed ..my epiglottis is burnt so I choke if I try to take a sip of water...I went to Ottawa to try and recover and went to the cancer hospital there for a check up ..I was accessed by Hussain Alsaffar the head cancer dr ..he wrote...and I quote "he was treated with RADICAL TREy ATMENT WITH RADIATION"....I want to know WHY...My life is destroyed..I cant work I lost my construction company of 35 years..i have no insurance..i will lose my home ..and have a zero quality of life......C

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Ontario lawyer about this?

I just got all my dr reports in my hands yesterday...your the first ive talked to

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None..i need advice to see if ive got a case

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Canada Law
3/21/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am very sorry to hear this.

Are you asking about suing the doctors at Princess Margaret?

I am
Did anyone in Ottawa tell you that there was a mistake or negligence?
I requested all doctors notes to date and upon reading them saw the doctor from cancer hospital in Ottawa said he saw that I had received radical doses of radiation after I could not take 2nd dose of chemo

What you should know is that to succeed in a malpractice claim you have to prove the doctor owed you a duty of care and that either there was negligence or that the care provided was below standards of practice and then you have to prove that you suffered damages. The first and third factors are obvious.

But to determine whether there was negligence or not you would need to see a medical malpractice lawyer who would need to take the records and have an expert review them.

You cannot sue successfully if there was no negligence. Sometimes things go wrong because of the nature of what is happening as nothing is perfect so proving negligence is really the main issue here.

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

well for for them to increase my doses of radiation knowing that with my history of connective tissue disorder I was at high risk of greater radiation related toxicity..and doing this without my consent I feel this is a huge overstep......and when I questioned them about my doses on aug 20 2016 this information was withheld from me....I would not have found this info if I had not asked for all doctor reports 2 days ago

It sounds like you may be correct but we aren't doctors so I really think you will only know the answer in terms of whether they were negligent by having an expert review the records.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?