 I would like some information about ESAs (Emotional

 I would like some...

 I would like some information about ESAs (Emotional Support Animals) in BC and laws regarding them. My father has Dementia and has been living in a care facility since 2015. He is getting worst by the day and it has been emotionally very very hard on my mother. She has developed anxiety problems and heart issues and more than once been admitted to Lions Gate Hospital Emergency suffering from anxiety attacks. Her doctors , both family and specialist, have strongly advised for my mother to get a pet and in August we got ourselves a very Beautiful Cat from our local BCSPCA and this cat has been emotionally a life saver for both of us , especially when we come home from visiting my father in the care facility. The building that we live in have a NO PET policy and have asked to remove my cat by May, even when I explained everything to them. I would like to know how I can or if I can register my Cat as an ESA (Emotional Support Animal) which he very much is. There are days that my mother is having a hard time and on the verge of an anxiety attack, but holding my cat very much helps her out and calms her down. I desperately need to do something for her and the thought of removing my cat is not something that I want to entertain. I apologize for my lengthy email, but needed to give you the whole picture as why I am asking this. I need to know how I can designate my cat as an ESA animal.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by province. What province are you in?

BC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My mother has appointment with her both Family and Specialist in April and I plan to ask them for a letter regarding this, but I need to know what I should ask and what type of form or letter is needed, something that is Iron clad. Thank You

3/21/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

It this a rental unit or do you own a Strata/condo?

Strata, Own the apartment in WoodCroft states in North Vancouver, Capilano Road
Prefer email or chat Please

The Strata and the Strata Council are required by law to accommodate the special needs of any owner, or even tenant for that matter, when that special need arises from a disability unless the accommodation causes the Strata to undergo undue hardship. So if, for example, a neighbour is highly allergic to cats and is being harmed by the cat the cat could not stay but otherwise it is discrimination for the Strata Council to require you to remove the cat.

Your mother simply has to provide proof of her need for this cat.

And then if they try to force you to remove the cat you can file a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal.

Does that help clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Thank you, ***** ***** is a big help and now I know what to say and what to do, you are great and I appreciate your help and if I have any more questions , I will get back to you. Have a great Day
I forgot to ask this , Sorry. If I need to quote the actual law, is there something like that ? The actual worded law that I can use when I respond to the Strata Council with the letter with my mother's Doctor?
Thank You again

You can say that their failure to accommodate your mother's needs would be a case of discrimination and contrary to the Human Rights Code.

Thank You again

Anytime.