I run a dog rescue organization out of my home. The

Hello, I run a...

Hello, I run a dog rescue organization out of my home. The municipality wants the dogs gone, stating the foster dogs count towards municipal limits. How can I appeal to my town council?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ontario, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have gone to the town office to voice my concerns and to state that I do in fact run a rescue.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am looking for a law that states foster dogs are accepted above and beyond municipal limits

3/21/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

What city do you live in?

Tweed, ON

I reviewed the by-laws and they are clear.

You cannot keep more than three dogs on your property, for any reason at all, unless you are a licenced kennel.

Does that fully answer your question even though it is not what you were hoping to hear?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

The Kennel by-laws do not state only one kennel per property anywhere in the bylaws that I can see. Surely there is a way around it.

I don't know what you mean about the kennel by-laws but you either need to get a licence as a kennel or cannot have more than three dogs.

I have a kennel license. Nowhere in the by-law can I find where I am limited to one kennel license. i.e. part 1 sections e and f

I don't see anything that says you cannot have more than one kennel licence. Why do you need more than one and who said you could not have more than one?

The Animal Control officer said I cannot have more than one. I need one for my dogs, and one for the rescue dogs.

So you are told that you need to licences for the same property and you cannot have two?

I was told that I can only have one kennel license per property.

Why can't your rescue dogs come under the same licence so long as the total of all dogs is not more than 21 dogs?

There are more than 20 dogs

You cannot keep more than 21 dogs on one property. It is against the by-laws.

ok

I don't see any way around that unfortunately.

thanks for your time

You are very welcome.

Please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive for my work.

Thanks and take good care.

Debra, Lawyer