What happens when you hit a car in a parking lot? Nobody was…

Customer Question
What happens when you...

What happens when you hit a car in a parking lot? Nobody was injured No note was left

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Its in canada

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

The police was contacted, everyone came forward could there be criminal charges?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what kind of charges there would be? Do i have to pay to contact with the lawyer?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Canada Law
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Ok thank you.

This is a highway traffic act offence and could also be considered a criminal code offence. But if there is minor damage and because no one was harmed it is not likely the police will charge you under the Criminal Code.

If you are charged under the Criminal Code then it would be more prudent to retain a criminal lawyer but if not you don't need a lawyer.

Does that help at least as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

The front bumper of the car fell of? But can someone still be charged under the criminal code?

They can be but it just not likely.

What kind of charges would there be under the highway traffic act?
Could the police do a further investigation? Does this count as a hit & run?

Yes it is a hit and run. But there are different charges depending on how they want to proceed and whether someone was hurt etc.

I don't know your province but it would leaving the scene.

Since there was no one harmed, could it be a lesser charge?
This is in Canada, province of Ontario
Since it was a parked car, only the bumper fell off, no one was harmed or injured. No note was left would there be a criminal charge? The person also left the scene

I am in Ontario. As I explained it is not likely you will be charged under the criminal code based on your facts.

Highway Traffic Act of Ontario

Where an accident occurs on a highway, every person in charge of a vehicle or street car that is directly or indirectly involved in the accident shall,

(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident;

(b) render all possible assistance; and

(c) upon request, give in writing to anyone sustaining loss or injury or to any police officer or to any witness his or her name, address, driver’s licence number and jurisdiction of issuance, motor vehicle liability insurance policy insurer and policy number, name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle and the vehicle permit number.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?