I have a ticket for driving with an expired license plate…

Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a ticket for driving with an expired license plate but the car is not under my name but was insured and have to go to court tomorrow and I don't know what to tell them but the fact the I have never own a car and I did not know the license plate was expired and now I need help on what to say

Lawyer's Assistant: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

Ontario canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats all, thank you

3/20/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

thank you

I am sorry to hear this.

What you can do is speak to the police officer who gave you the ticket when you see them at court. Explain what happened and ask if you can plead guilty to a lesser offence so that you don't get stuck with the fine and demerit points. They will likely agree to avoid a trial.

If they don't then have the trial and explain what happened. It is really not an excuse but you did whatever one else does. Who asks the owner if the plate has expired or not and who looks for a sticker when borrowing a car?

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer