I had work done on a cabin. I explained to the plumber that…

Customer Question
I'm Indigeneous, and I...

I'm Indigeneous, and I had work done on a cabin. I explained to the plumber that I needed a septic tank before we could go any further. A septic cost like 10,000 dollars to put in, so I told him the situation, I'm on a limited pension, but the other day one of their workers went into the band hall and told everyone that was in hearing distance how much I owed them, and that couldn't find me, They know where I live and have my e-mail and and my phone number. I am upset that they had to tell everyone my private finances. I don't think that was professional, especially to broadcast it in our Band hall where we have at least 12 workers present.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No I haven't

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I am a member of an Indian band, as they used to call us now we are Indigenous People, or we used to be First Nations

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if there is anything I can do with this situation.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Law
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Did he tell the truth or tell lies to others about you?

She told them the amount that I owed and that she could not contact me. They have my home and cell numbers also they worked on the cabin so they know where I live. also they have my e-mail address. my question is I feel I have been violated by them discussing my privacy in a government office. I don't understand why they didn't phone me.what can I do or can I do anything?

I don't think there is anything you can do. It's not defamation as they told the truth. Had they lied that would be defamation and then you could sue them for any damage to your reputation.

If they do this persistently then you can do something because then it would become harassment. But if they just did this once there is nothing you can do at this point.

I am sorry I cannot give you a more optimistic answer.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?