I live in alberta, canada. I am currently in a relationship…

Hi! I live in...

Hi! I live in alberta, canada. I am currently in a relationship with a man who is stiol married but separated. Am I allowed to enter into an adult interdependent relationship agreement already? Or do I have to wait for a divorce on his part first?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Canadian family court?

He lives separately. No court papers have been filed yet. Still waiting to complete the 1 year period for divorce claim.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all for now

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Yes you can enter into an adult interdependent relationship. He does not have to be divorced.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Thank you for getting back to me.Just a follow-up question. Does he need a separation agreement in place first or can we just go ahead with the adult interdependent relationship agreement?

He doesn't need a separation agreement at all. He never needs one in fact.

Thanknyou. How do I get back to you for assistance in finalizing the draft of the adult interdependent relationship agreement?

I cannot help with that. I can only provide legal information. You will have to retain your own lawyer to do the agreement. And your partner will need independent legal advice as well.

Debra, Lawyer
Thanks!

You are very welcome.

Take good care.