I’m traveling to Costa Rica next month and I’m alittle

Hi I’m traveling to...

Hi I’m traveling to Costa Rica next month and I’m alittle worried because I have a criminal record.

Lawyer's Assistant: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

OntarIo.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I’ve filled out a fingerprint destruction for March 1st .

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My charges were withdrawn.

3/19/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that you are worried but what is your specific question please?

Will I be denied entry? Do you need to know details about my record?

You don't have a criminal record. If the charges were withdrawn there is no conviction, no finding of guilt and no record.

If you are asked if you have a criminal record the answer is no.

I don't believe CR would have any access to your fingerprints and certainly would not have access to your police record. But you could keep the information proving that your charges were withdrawn just in case.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Wait I’m confused. I still had to get my finger prints done and a picture taken, so wouldn’t that mean I still have a file with the police? Can’t they still see that when I go through security?

You do have a police record and always will but you don't have a criminal record.

And CR and Canada do not share information the way the US and Canada do. They will not have access to the police record. But even if they did, so what? The charges were withdraw so keep proof of that with you.

I will be fine going to Costa Rica and Florida then? I’m going to get a police record check tomorrow, should I bring that with me on my trip? Also once they destroy my record wouldn’t that mean I wouldn’t have a police record anymore?

This post is about CR. You never mentioned Florida.

The US and Canada do share information and your charge may show up in the records. So have proof that the charges were withdrawn.

You will always have a police record. Destroying your fingerprints will help protect your privacy but police records are never destroyed.

Ok thank you for answering my question. Who can I talk to about traveling to the US?

I just answered you about that anyway.

I said they will see your police record and so you need proof that the charges were withdrawn.

Ok.

So be sure you get something from the Crown that shows the charges were withdrawn and travel with that.

But if you are asked if you have a criminal record the answer is no.

How long does that take to get and does that cost money?

You don't pay for it.

You can call the Crown's office or ask the police or see what is in your court file at the courthouse.

Debra, Lawyer
OK great thank you so much for answering my questions.

You are very welcome.