I’m from Canada and am selling my Mexican timeshare through…

I’m from Canada and...

I’m from Canada and am selling my Mexican timeshare through a real estate company and escrow company in the USA. I’ve verified the funds are indeed in an escrow account at Banamex bank. My timeshare is worth over 100,000 US so I’m quite nervous of scams etc. The buyer deposited the purchase amount plus the tax into the escrow account ( with the help of a Spanish speaking friend we verified the account with the bank) and what I’m being told is I need to pay that tax ( $6000 US) to obtain the IR? Number. Then in about a month the deal will close and the funds in the escrow account will be wired to my bank and I’ll be reimbursed for the tax money I pay now. I’m concerned this is a scam.....and need help to verify this whole thing is ligitamate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Canadian lawyer about this?

No, I’ve searched in the Edmonton area for a lawyer that has experience in this matter but have been told by a few they have no experience with Mexican real estate.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just verified the escrow account is legitimate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

3/19/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

This is undoubtedly a scam and the money will not be there long.

Whenever, and I mean whenever, you are asked for funds ahead of time it is a scam. The legitimate way to pay for expenses or fees that arise out of a sale is through the sale proceeds. There is no doubt that you are a victim of a scam and no doubt that if you pay them the $6000 they will be gone. And you will still be stuck with the property.

I am sorry to have to be the messenger of bad news.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

No thank you

Can you please rate me now so that I can receive credit for my work?

Thanks and take good care.

Debra, Lawyer