My mother resided in Texas til 2006 then returned to Ontario…

My mother resided in...

My mother resided in Texas til 2006 then returned to Ontario and died in ontario in Feb 2008 There is a dispute with my siblingsover ownership of shares in a real estate holding company with only real estate holdings in Texas My siblings want to open proceedings in Ontario although we have a legal proceeding currently in texas My mother died intestate Can they open proceedings in Ontario?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from state to state, can you tell me where the company is registered?

It is registered in Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Have registration from Texas Sec of State for company There is a dispute over whether I own the shares or my mother owned the shares I have managed the company for last 30 years alone I am sole director president according to sec of state

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry for your loss and for this difficult situation

There is no basis for suing about a property in Texas in Ontario.

The court cannot make an order about the property. And you always have to sue in the jurisdiction that has the closest ties with the issue.

I am sorry this is not what you were hoping to hear.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

The issue is shares to a real estate holding company in texas my siblings and i are fighting about who owns the shares to the company they say my deceased mother owned them i say i do the company only owned real estate in texas

But that cannot be decided in Ontario.

It appears that you have asked for a call.

Are you still wanting the call given I've explained this lawsuit cannot take place in Ontario?

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer