Approximately nine years ago I withdrew funds from my

Approximately nine years ago...

Approximately nine years ago I withdrew funds from my husbands business account and from his gic . He discovered this Sharply after I with drew funds and accepted it. Now we are spreading and he is threatening criminal charges. What can happen?

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?

Not charged yet. That is my question, can I be charged with something?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what province did this occur?

Ontario

3/18/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

How much money in total are you talking about?

20 thousand from gic and 12thousand from business account
The funds from gic were used to pay mortgage arrears and the 12k was used to repay a debt to my sister

How did you do this exactly?

For example, did you forge his signature?

No for the withdrawal of funds I just went to teller and had drafts issued
I have forged his signature on Chqs, but he discovered these and accepted it
The gic , I explained that they were going to repossess the house of funds were not paid by a certain date and she gave me the draft payable to mortgage company
He had also given me permission from time to time to sign chqs when he is unavailable. After all these withdrawals I continued to do all business banking , bill payments drafts and anything needed.

You could be charged. This is a lot of money and you were in a position of trust.

There is no limitation period when it comes to more serious offences and the police/Crown could consider these to be more serious.

If the money was under $5000 it would likely be too late.

It would be best for you to consult with both a family lawyer and a criminal lawyer at this point.

Nine years is a long time and I am not saying they will charge you but they can.

I wish I had a more optimistic answer for you but I do believe the cautious approach is the best one and so I suggest you not discuss this with him any more at all and see a criminal lawyer this coming week and a family lawyer as soon as you can.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer