I need your free legal advice. I live in a rental building…

Customer Question
Dear Sir/Madam,I need your...

Dear Sir/Madam,I need your free legal advice.I live in a rental building on the ground floor. Loud footfalls in the stairwell as if somebody is stamping deliberately down the stairs and sometimes even knocking on my door wakes me up every night - I have been keeping the records for quite some time. I complained many times orally and in writing (abundant correspondence available) to my landlord, I even complained to the city but to no avail. I hired a home inspector and he stated that an additional surveillance camera should be installed in the stairwell or the present camera should be re-installed so that it could SEE what is going on in the lobby near the stairwell - the view of the present camera is blocked by the wall. He also recommended carpeting for the staircase in the stairwell. He also identified the doors that need to be repaired. His recommendations have not been completed - only part of the doors have been repaired or maybe the most slamming in the basement have been locked, however, the camera has not been re-located or added (I had proposed in several E-mails to the management to pay in part or even in full for the additional camera depending on the price but in vain), no carpeting has been put - I had contacted a couple of companies that specialize in it.The problem is that after that person (according to the footfalls it is one) wakes me up at 3 - 4 - 5 am I cannot go back to sleep after I wake up or later during the day. I have been diagnosed with a significant sleep disorder and referred to the Sleep Clinic.In this situation, I want to purchase and install IN MY APARTMENT a recording device in order to have proof of what is going on (tenants upstairs who sleep in earplugs like myself and describe it all in their E-mails do not dare to confront the landlord). I also want to identify the noise offender and for this purpose I want to hire a licensed security guard who would video & audio record it alone in the stairwell or that I do it myself with the guard present for my protection. I've lived in this building for 17 years and have many friends here. I do not want to move because somebody wants my place for his family or friends.Please advise.Thank you.Marina Kolodizner

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Toronto, ON, Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

They are supposed to do maintenance and usually they do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am thinking. No.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Law
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

This site is not free.

I can provide you with legal information but the site has charged you already. If you don't want to pay please ask the site for a refund.

How much did they charge me?
They were supposed to charge me a $ 5 deposit.
kindly reply.

They charged you the $5 and also the price for the question which is more. I don't know what that is as it changes. I don't work for the site.

Do you want to give me your contact information? I am planning to sue my landlord and if we get along I will retain you.

I am not able to give out contact information nor act for you. I can just give you legal information through this site.

So please contact customer service. If you want to go ahead after hearing what you've been charged let me know but if not ask customer service to process a refund.

Will they refund me if I am not satisfied with your answer?
I do not understand how this site works. Kindly explain me so that we could proceed. Thank you.

Yes but I don't want to work for free. I cannot afford it.

So you have been charged a price. If you are not OK with paying I don't want to go ahead. It's not OK for me for you to ask for refund (unless you are not satisfied) because the price is higher than you thought.

So I want you to find out what you were charged and be sure you are happy with it before I spend more time on this post.

As I understood from what your site offered, I was supposed to be charged in the beginning only a $ 5 deposit. I was supposed to be charged additional money later. Nobody warned me before they charged me CA 79. It looks strange to me.
In my opinion, it is not ethical to treat a customer this way. How can I trust your or anybody's advice if you start your relationship with a client in such a strange way?

Let me explain further.

First, you are not my client. I am a practicing lawyer but you are only the customer of the site. You are not my client. I don't know you and you don't know me. I don't work for the site either. I log into the site the way you do and see a list of questions and choose which to answer.

Second, the site makes it clear that there is a $5 deposit and then another cost for using the service online. On top of that there is an option of choosing to make a call with an expert. That cost is in addition to the question cost and deposit cost. It is another $79.

You don't have to do that call but you do have to pay the $5 and the question cost if you want an answer online. The site only pays me if you rate me positively and certainly doesn't pay me if you ask for a refund.

So far I have taken up a lot of time with you that I am not getting paid for. I am a single parent of four kids. I cannot afford to do that.

So please read all I've said, the speak to customer service and decide if you want to proceed or get a refund. But I cannot spend more time explaining how the costs of the site work especially since I don't even know the most important part which is what the question cost is.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I will contact the customer service and from that we will or will not proceed.

ok

Madam, I tried to contact your FAQ and Customer Care several times but failed. Many thanks for your desire to help me but I cannot commit to working with a site that charges me money without a warning and does not reply to my numerous attempts to contact and have some clarification. Much as I appreciate your time, I also appreciate mine. On Monday, I will contact my bank and claim all my money (including the initial $ 5) back. Good-bye.