I have a friend who has been fired from teaching

I have a friend...

I have a friend who has been fired from teaching (substitute)because of a story he told to his class that was about something that happened to him years ago. It was a on the scary side and a few of the class ( grade four) told their parents. Two mothers phoned to complain. And my friend was hauled in front of the assistant superintendent and was told he no longer had a job as a substitute teacher and any job he may of applied for would be taken off. I am not a teacher but I find this a bit one sided. Does my friend have any recourse? Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I think it was discussed with hr

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

He is a member of the A T A but is only a substitute teacher

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m not sure I’ve never done this before. I know he very upset

Will This will be confidential?
3/17/2018
Debra, Lawyer
This post is not confidential in that there is no solicitor client privilege.However, once we complete conversing and you have rated me I can ask the site to lock the post. That way no one could read it. Knowing this would you like to go ahead?
Was this at a public school?What is his union doing for him?
It was at a public school. I have no idea about the union. If you are member of the ata I think you are a union member
This is definitely something for the union to take on.The law is that if anyone is going to be deprived of any of their rights or privileges they have a right to what is referred to as procedural fairness. That means that your friend had a right to answer to the allegations and you have a full and fair investigation be carried out where his voice is heard and then a decision has to be made by unbiassed and fair decision makers.However, the law also is that your friend cannot take on the employer himself because he is a member of the union. Essentially, the employment contract is the collective agreement between the union and the employer which would be the school board.So your friend has to go the union and have the union file a grievance on his behalf.Does that help at least as a starting point?
Debra, Lawyer
Thank you you have been very helpful Debra. He is in shock and really didn’t know what to do. This will give him a starting point at least. Thank you again