What is the law in Canada ,about a house feeding off ,the…

What is the law...

What is the law in Canada ,about a house feeding off ,the house next door municipality water line and meter

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Canadian lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What I need to know is what is the law about connecting houses to municipality water and can homes feed off the meter the municipality put in a home

3/17/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

How did this happen?

What province are you in please?

Ontario

How did this happen?

I just want to know what the law is Thanks

The law depends on how this happened.

If there was an agreement that this could happen then it is lawful.

If there is an easement on title then this lawful in the sense that the hook up can happen but it is not likely the case that this would mean that the one who has the meter has to pay the full bill then.

But if there is no agreement and nothing registered on title then it seems very odd and sounds like this would have been done unlawfully, that is without consent.

But as you can see it is very, very hard to answer in a straightforward way without knowing all the facts.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Are municipality’s above the law ?and if a person feels a municipality has been charging or should I say dbl dipping whom can they call to have the municipality audited?thank you

They are not above the law but they have a lot of power.

You can go to your elected municipal councilor or you can sue them. You would not be able to have them audited.

Debra, Lawyer