I want to unlock my retirement pension plan. Under Ontario…

Customer Question
I want to unlock...

I want to unlock my retirement pension plan . Under Ontario law . I’m no longer a citizen in Canada and no longer plan to be in Canada. My employer won’t send my termination letter and manulife said they won’t unlock it until they receive it. Although my union claims I have to wait one year for them to send it in. I feel like my financial hardship case warrants them to release my letter immediately so manulife can send me my option letter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes they said they would send a letter. People are acting really dumb and being short and giving me toll free numbers.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes the union is trying to keep the funds for a year . Before they release them

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Law
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Debra, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear of your difficult to situation.What you mean when you say you are no longer a citizen of Canada?Where do you live now?
Usa

Do you mean you have moved to the US and given up your residency in Canada?

When did you move to the US?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.Thanks!