Not really an immigration question but it is about marrying…

Customer Question
Not really an immigration...

Not really an immigration question but it is about marrying someonw not from canada

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

He was in canada on a temp basis we just went to the court house and had gotten married there.. it was a friend of a friend and his visa was going to expire he gave me a sob story about how bad it was where he was from.. but then like 2 weeks later we had to go to the immigration office and he was detained there and deported as far as i know..

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im not trying to get him back in canada i just want to know if im legally married still to this guy or if it was voided because he was deported.. and a deportation officer called me after i left and questioned me and i ended up twlling him about it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately this is a valid marriage if the ceremony was preformed by a justice of the peace or judge.

So to end the marriage you will need to get a divorce.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?