I was 1 of 2 people coordinating a parent lead fundraising…

Customer Question
I was 1 of...

I was 1 of 2 people coordinating a parent lead fundraising trip for our kids to go to Disneyland. now that this has all called through therr is social media posts calling us theives. we have never takes any money we have actually paid for alot of the stuff with out being reimbursed. I understand they are opening an investigation. my questions what is the status of limitations for this? and what do u we do with fundraiser money? there is a few of us who are still going on the trip but some of the parents asked for all there money back and I don't want to return if not allowed or illegal. I thought we may have to donate it or allocate it to the studio to apply to fees. for we fundraise through out the year separately.

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Alberta

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing. I have asked the tour company we were going through to return money and I was going to put in bank until I know further. I have reviewed all the documents and will be getting an accountant to look through it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. it is a competitive dance studio. and there is rumour that they will be kicking out our children who are age 6 to 9. and we will still have a bill that will need to be paid

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

But why are they suspecting a thing. It sounds like you are fundraising to take the class and then some parents changed their minds. Is that it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we where fundraising to dance in Disneyland on stage, but need a minimum of 15 kids we had 18 enrolled, and I was informed by a few parents that they could no commit due to leaving studio and due to change of schedule with choreography. They are accusing of money being miss placed. we had a joint USD account set up I have asked the bank to pull all cheques deposited into it, there is only 4, 1 for value of 250, 1 for 155, 1 for 250 and 1 for 1447. all in Canadian funds, the receipts given to me just show deposit total in Canadian then to USD. I have a copy of monthly bank statements on out private facebook page, also minutes from meetings, and what children participated in certain fundraiser. There was an error on my behalf originally for our 1st fundraiser we informed we would receive 500 to volunteer at conquer the valley. We volunteered Aug 23 2017, and received cheque dec 2017, which was deposited into joint USD bank account. Now I was asked about this cheque a few weeks ago, and in my judgment error I said I don't think we received it yet for I looked through my records and did not see a 500 deposit, but forgot it was only 250. I counted the deposit as a sponser cheque in my books. Now I never said I was a book keeper so yes I will eat crow on that, but I can not say the cheque is there until I have proof from bank to show where it was deposited. I am wondering if it is wise to post all my cheques deposited, and a statement for I found a statement on a facebook page for all dance studios and competition directors locally, that was very demining and directed to us with out naming us from the studio. I met with studio owner Ashton Breton prior to knowing this asked that all slander and accusation be stopped, for they have gone to other studios and parents and told them we are stealing, and told people that they where kicking our children out of the dance program now (who are 6 to 9 years old) .I am wondering if it is wise to post all info for I know they will poke holes at all of it. and What do we do with this money that we fundraised, There are 3 parents ( 5 children) who are still going to Disneyland (during same time)but will not be dancing on Disney stage we will be dancing in LA in master classes. Now we advertised that we were fundraising to dance in Disney, are we allowed to move that money earned as fundraising to dance in LA, or do we have to donate to a charity? and how long do e let the money sit in the bank? Ashton the owner told us on Tuesday 13th that they are filling an investigation but she has requested they wait until after year end which is end of may 2018. I have not stolen money, nor imposture anyone, we have raised in aprox 5700 American. between originally 19 kids. I do not want to aggravate the witch hunt but I would like to put a stop to all of this. Also a cease and desist letter can I make one up my self post on facebook page that is only for our group of parents and name every parent is that legal?

I understand and I am really sorry you are being treated this way especially when you put in so much time and effort into this.

I do not think you should post a thing on fb or use social media at this point.

I do think you should retain you own lawyer.

The lawyer will write a letter to the studio setting out the facts and then will also send cease and desist letters to any person who has been defaming you. The letter would demand a written retraction of all defamatory statements and will threaten a lawsuit for damages to your reputation.

Then it is likely best to simply had the funds over to the studio and make it clear you are done with trying to help them given how you've been treated.

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I found the missing cheque for 250.00. I got the company who wrote the cheque to send me a picture of the back ground. it was never signed by myself but was deposited into a bank machine to my personal bank account Dec 31 with other money and cheques (probably from christmas) now I do not recall doing this. my husband said he could have done it aswell because cheque was written to me. now I have asked for bank to pull a full investigation on joint USD acct and for investigation to transactions on that day from my personal acct. now there is 115 owed to me for expenses. do i take it out from this and deposit the remaining difference to the joint acct. this was not purposely done and I did an investigation to find it. can i be charged with anything? also what are the laws on fundraising money? if we are not using it for original purpose do we have to post that publically? and if decision on vote is to use towards dance fees is that legal or does it have to be donated? can I just give the studio a money order for any minus sponser moneys and have them make the decision? I have a feeling they will dispense it to only the select few if they do so is that legal since we were all involved.
1 more thing. they say they are investigating us I am worried about that cheque I know it's a small amount but it was not purposeful that it was cashed in my bank. for the investigation do they (the studio and other parents) have to higher a lawyer or an accountant to do that or do they have the right to just ask and see everything. we have not claimed half our expenses for not all receipts are available so only thing claimed is the expenses with receipts. is there a way we can claim our time into this if they want to continue to be ignorant. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything righy. I have been 2nd guessing my self through out everything now and I'm worried they will poke holes and all the small things

I think you should give them what they ask before they do hire a lawyer. If they hire a lawyer you could end up facing charges or being sued. They are not going to want to pay legal fees so will be looking to you to pay them one way or the other.

I don't think you have the right to donate the money anywhere. If you know who gave you the money then it should all be returned to each donor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have posted bank statment and journal for deposits and what each child received towards there account. I also have posted what each child participated in. it is only 4900 USD we have raised to date. no one has asked for anything yet but I was told they will be doing an investigation but the studio asked them to wait till after recital so after May. if i disclose that I found out that it was deposited in my personal acct on Dec 31 but be transparent by recognizing it and immediately return the money as soon as I asked the bank to look into my accounts. will this incriminate my self. am I better to.just put the $250 in the usd acct and take my expenses that I never claimed for off of that. so be like 135 deposited and we have been communicating on a Facebook page. do i admit this to them on this Facebook page. or just put the money in the bank with a copy of bank statement. and disclose it when or if they ask about it?

I don't think you should be admitting anything or posting on fb anymore.

I think you should give them the total amount of money you have with the list of who donated less the expenses you incurred with receipts for the expenses and say you are done with this entirely and it's all in their hands.

Debra, Lawyer