I am from ALBERTA, CANADA. I have 32 diseases and include…

This is Sandy ******* and...

This is Sandy ******* and I am from ALBERTA, CANADA. I have 32 diseases and include severe major depression, blackouts, memory loss etc. etc. We have 5 doctors in this little town. I called the clinic to arrange an appointment for myself. So reception takes my name and tells me that "Dr. ******** (family doctor) can no longer help you" I asked to speak to someone in charge. Well I talked to her and she claimed that she had no idea, but to go pick up your mail. I did and a letter from Dr. ******** stating that he can no longer help me. I was shocked and upset and drove home showing the letter to my husband. So he says "Sandy you faxed a nasty letter to him" well I said that I never wrote such a letter. We argued until he showed me the letter I wrote. I could not believe it. I had a black out!!!! No memory of writing a terrible letter. I sent three letters of apology and he would not take me back as his patient. I tried to book another doctor in the same clinic. When I gave her my name she apologized but told me I was flagged and that no doctor will see you as no one can help me. My medication comes in blister packs and need them. I have a 20 mile radius that I can drive. There are no other doctors in 20 miles. Called the clinic again and was told to find a doctor in Stony Plain or Spruce Grove (Big towns that takes 1 1/2 hours away from me. I called and all these doctors were not accepting new patients but I could go to the walk-in clinics to give me a perscription for my blister packs. I couldn't get a ride as all have jobs. As a matter of fact, I just called the clinic and have never been talked to like I was a criminal or a person they all hate. This is a small town. Rumours spread like wild fire. Do I have a right to tell them that I will be contacting my lawyer or just leave it alone.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

But what would you want a lawyer for? For example, are you asking if the doctor has to keep you on as a patient?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I feel discriminated. I also wouldn't complain about my family doctor. But I do not feel he has the right to tell the other four doctors not to take me as a patient. I know for a fact that if I just moved into the area that any of the doctors would take a new patient.

But did he tell the other doctors in the same office or elsewhere?

This is the one we are working on now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he did tell the other doctors. Why? Cause for every doctor I try it's the same thing, I have been flagged. Any time I try to make an appointment up comes this: I cannot help you. Fine he can drop me as a patient but allow me to see another doctor. i do not deserve to be treated like dirt.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why tell other doctors? I have a 20 mile radius that I can drive. There is no other doctor in that radius. I feel discriminated and extremely upset. If i were an unknown and try to get an appointment. The the unknown gets a doctor and appointment. This is a small town and news travels fast. How dare they tarnish my name. I still have the same values as when I was young. It's called respect.

I want to make sure I have the facts right. You sent a nasty letter to this doctor but it was not about your health. Rather, it was about the doctor. Then the doctor showed it to all the other doctors. Is that right so far?

And you are asking if the doctor had the legal right to show it to all the other doctors?

Did the doctor make up lies about you or just show the nasty fax?

And are you saying this doctor should have known that this is a result of your mental health issues and should have realized that this was not what you meant to do?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wrote a nasty letter but I have no memory of it or sending it. If he had looked at my background, he would know that it wasn't me. I get blackouts, As was told to me I have blackouts sometimes for 2 days. The last time I saw him he refuse to give me water pills. He looked only at my feet. My face was swollen so were my hands, breast tenderness etc. There are many symptoms of water retention. He told me that the compression stockings on my feet will work!! So what about the face and other symptoms? Water retention if not taken care of turns into fat and cellulite. 2 days I gained 14 pounds. I ended up buying over the counter diaretics. In four days my water retention comes back. In his letters was always the same things *I cannot help you any longer" That's fine, but I shouldn't be flagged and yes he did tell the other doctors in the clinic.

If there was nothing in the fax that contained confidential medical information then he was within his legal rights to share the letter.

If he didn't lie about you then this is also lawful. It is not defamation unless he harms your reputation by telling lies about you.

A doctor doesn't have to keep anything confidential except medical information.

While it seems unkind it is not unlawful for him to do what he did.

You clearly do have complaints about him and they may be valid but he has the right to decide not to be your doctor and so do the other doctors as they also don't want to be subject of your complaints and possibly nasty faxes.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it, when I have blackouts, as I have been told, I become mean, In that letter, I told him that I should have been given a water pill. Late in the evening, I called Health Link, something was going on inside and could not figure it out. The nurse at Health Link advised me to call the ambulance now!!!

I am sorry to hear that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since he refused to give me a water pill and I kept getting worse. I called Health Link and was advised to get an ambulance NOW.
Isn't that confidential? It was 3 days later (had to look at the fax) I wrote him a nasty fax. I have absolutely no memory of that fax. As a matter of fact, it wasn't that long ago that I had a black out that lasted 2 days. I am going by what I was told. It is very scary and so is my memory loss. Why? Because anyone can use it against me. Example: I called a daughter and just reimed her out, when in fact that did not happen at all. That's what I mean by people telling lies during my episodes. I have no memory what so ever about that nasty letter I wrote to the doctor. As a matter of fact, two of my daughters are trying to tell my third daughter "That's not mom" " our mom would never write or say anything like that" "mom would never hurt us" " she needs our support more than ever" "so let it go. With no memory she can't understand why you won't talk to her or let her see her grandchildren" Those are blackouts. Memory loss is a little different. But with the doctor, didn't he do wrong?

But he didn't reveal your health information. He revealed you wrote a nasty fax and that is not a breach of confidentiality.

Debra, Lawyer