Have a question in regards to divorce in canada. Beginning…

Have a question in...

Have a question in regards ***** ***** in canada

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in Canadian family court?

Yes, beginning of february, my wife filed for divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Yes it was done through her lawyer and i was given a copy of what was filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Its in vancouver, bc and she did not ask for any money and I didnt contest it

I want to know a few things
1) How long does it take to become official? It was filed at the beginning of february
2) How can I find out if its official? Am I notified
3) Is she able to go back and change the terms ie is she able to claim money , assets from me? At this time she is not doing this. How long does she have to make these changes?
3/15/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Have you been separated for over one year?

Did she serve you and did you ignore the documents?

we have been separated for over a year. She filed through her lawyer and I went to her lawyer to get a copy of the documents. I was given 30 days to contest, which I didnt do

This generally takes a couple of months to go through.

Then you can remarry 31 days later.

You would be notified by being sent a copy of the signed divorce judgment.

She can come back and seek a division of assets but it is unlikely that she will do that given she has not yet done so.

She would have to seek the division of assets within 2 years of the divorce judgment being signed.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

just a few more questions,
1) I am moving, how would they find me to give me a copy of the judgement-is there a way for me to check on the status
2) to confirm, this can take a couple of months from when its filed?
3) even after the judgement, she still has 2 years to go after assets
thanks

1) You can have your mail directed or you can call the courthouse and ask to update the file to give them your new address. Yes you can also call and ask for a status update.

2) Yes it can.

3) Yes that is the law.

Debra, Lawyer