I had just bought a house and the water had froze up. I

Customer Question
Hello, I had just...

Hello, I had just bought a house and the water had froze up. I called the township and the guy had instructed me to get a plumber in to see where the problem is before we can move forward (to see if the freeze is on my property or if its the towns issue (property) ) He had clarified that if the freeze is on our side (property) we will have to pay but if the freeze is on the towns side its their issue. After the plumber was done his job he mentioned to send the receipt to the township and they will pay for it since it was on their side. (the plumber had mentioned to me that another lady had frozen water also and she had forwarded the bill to the town also) I had called the town back and mentioned this to the girl about the receipt and she gave me the email to forward the receipt to her and then she asked does it say how far out the plumber went-I said I am not 100% sure if it says on the bill but I had told her it was 65 feet out and that there was 4 of us there that measured. Now the girl at the town is telling me that I have to pay for the bill.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ontario, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just emailing back and forth

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just don't think its my responsibility to pay for the bill. I had to find the problem for them (the township) on my own expense? (The problem is on or under the road not on our property) When I called the township after the plumber was done his job- Why did the girl at the township give me her email to forward the bill for them to pay for it (Why was I instructed to forward the bill if the town is not going to pay?) and then turn around and tells (emails) me that its my responsibility to pay for the plumber not the township and with this email she had sent the policy. The township had their own equipment.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Canada Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had sent 2 other items- not sure if you got them ? thanks
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

What reason has she given you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From my understanding, it is the policy-like I had mentioned before Michelle at the town ship had given me her email address to send the bill to her so they can pay it.Hi Jessica,
I apologize if you were given inaccurate information as to how the frozen water line policy works. Unfortunately, the invoice you have submitted will not be paid by the township. I understand that your water line was frozen beyond your property, but as per our policy, it does not state that the homeowner will be reimbursed for any costs associated with repairing the issue. If you have any further questions or for further clarification on this, please contact R***** ***** at(###) ###-####ext. 238.I apologize for any misunderstandings that this issue may have caused.
Thank you,
Michelle Barstad

Are they saying they would have made the repairs but you had to have them out to do them?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why didn't Michelle send me the policy in the first place when I had told her about the bill and asked for the email address to sent the invoice for them to pay- if she knew the town was not going to pay? I think it is strange.

But what are they saying? Are they saying that they would have done the work themselves?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are they saying they would have made the repairs but you had to have them out to do them? what do you mean have them out to do them? sorry

I am asking if they are saying to you that you had to call them and they would have attended and if it was their fault they would have done all the work but that they aren't willing to pay someone else to do the work?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Chris (from the township) had told us to get a plumber in there before hand before anything (to see where it is frozen) also, he said if the freeze is on our property then we pay but if its on the town's property they will pay.-so thats what we did we got a plumber in and the plumber tried to un-thaw the water witch was not a success :(. we had no other choice from the town (they just said to get a plumber to check things out.

It sounds to me that you tried to do what the city wanted but the fact is that someone on their staff mislead you. It was not a matter of confusion. They told you what to do and while they were wrong you were correct to trust them.

I suggest that you send a letter to the legal department stating what happened and give them a deadline for reimbursing you. Tell them if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs.

You can then sue them in Small Claims Court and can self-represent. If it gets that far and your find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
-no, they instructed me to get a plumber in first to see where the water is froze.

I think they are saying they would do the city work and you would pay for any work that was a result of your own part of the pipes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to be honest we are a small town of 2,000 people. This is going on with other people as well with the frozen water and bill problems. Our small town has had lots of water breaks this winter and I think the town wants nothing to do with it anymore. its unbelievable how much we pay for taxes and nothing is done-(snow removal to see on coming traffic, and so forth)
sorry I am just frustrated,
Michelle should of never gave the email to me

So do what I said. Threaten to sue and if you have to then sue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have to write a letter but I am unsure how to do one-never did a letter like this before. Can I get assistance ?

Just set out the facts, then give them a deadline for paying you in full and tell them if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer